Which pathway is the right one for you? This is the question riding the brains of most Year 10 and Year 11 students at IFTS right now. Self assessment is evident as students are listing their skills, evaluating which subjects they enjoy the most, making a decision as to whether they would like an ATAR or would be happy with achieving a HSC in general.
After our subject selection evening last night I could see a number of panicked faces and intense discussions about which line to choose and which subjects will best suit an individual. To these students I wish to offer the following advice:
1. Breathe – it is not your life choice, it is a choice you are making to be as successful you can be in your last years of schooling.
2. Take a moment and think about your goals for the future. Don’t simply pick a subject because you enjoy one aspect of it, or because your friends are. Think about what will suit you best as an individual.
3. Make sure you enjoy and are interested in the subjects you choose. Don’t choose something you know you dislike just because someone told you it will give you a good result. Generally a negative attitude to something will cause more stress.
4. Make lists – write down all of the subjects you enjoy and career paths that you think could be a possibility in the future. This will assist you in narrowing down your overall choices.
5. Talk to someone – your teachers are here to help you, your parents/ guardians/ friends may also assist you with what to do. After all, they know you almost as much as you know yourself.
6. READ!! Read about the courses and what is involved and what skills and understanding you will gain from these. See your teachers for information or do some research online.
Remember, it is not a choice for life. It is your decision and you need to choose the road best for you.